Help us get a Xbox 360

Coordinator
Jul 21, 2009 at 9:28 PM
Edited Jul 21, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Some users on the forums have had the idea of getting the Farseer Physics Engine project a Xbox 360. I think that is great idea and it will certainly help us developing a better library for the Xbox360 platform.

If we get a Xbox to this project, I will ensure that we get optimal performance on the Xbox 360 platform.
It is especially needed now when we are developing Farseer Physics Engine 3.0.
Version 3.0 is currently not optimized and it will be really slow on Xbox360 compared to PC - with this new Xbox we can get the most out of 3.0 and give it really great performance.

If you want to paticipate in helping us get a Xbox 360, you can --> click here to donate <--

We also have a list of our previous donations here. You can also be listed, unless you wish to stay anonymous of course.

A big thanks goes out to anyone who helps this project in one way or another.

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:03 AM

I am so sorry but i am unable to donate. I am really budget bound right now, and dont have any cash on hand. :( Best of luck in getting an xbox though!

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:41 AM

I can pledge at least $40 AUD (not sure what that will be in USD). I'll do that when I get home tonight.

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2009 at 4:45 AM

Sounds amazing roonda! Thank you for all your help and donation.

By the way: 40 AUD is 32 USD - go to google and search for: "40 AUD in USD". It as a currency converter.

Jul 22, 2009 at 11:20 AM

I (Lead programmer at 2.0 studios) will be donating $120 AUD to the cause.

I have used farseer quite a bit on our last project and while it didnt really make any money it wouldnt have gotten there without farseer.

The thought of 360 optimizations sounds ausome :) anything that can get it to run faster in general on 360 is welcomed.

Also i would donate more but cannot due to me not really having much money at the moment...

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Well Dan, you've inspired me: I've just donated 50 USD (~63 AUD).

Hopefully this will show my appreciation for the many hours the team puts into it, and also inspire some others to contribute.

@genbox: What model 360 do you think you'll go for and how much do you expect it to cost?

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:22 PM

@genbox: I think you should get a pro xbox. The core dont have a harddrive which is needed to deploy... and the elite just holds twice as much so a pro should be fine.

The price for a Pro is $299 USD so once i donate my 100ish USD that only leaves 99 left :)
But it might cost slightly more in Denmark i spose (is that where you are from genbox?)

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2009 at 4:16 PM
Edited Jul 22, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Thanks for all the donations so far. They are huge amounts compared to what I expected. If we continue like this, we will get there in no time.

@roonda: I've seen a 360 Pro with 20gb harddrive for $300 USD and a 60gb edition for $330 USD

Right now I'm aiming for the 20gb edition.

@danthekilla: Thanks for the suggestion. I did not know about the missing harddrive. I think the elite is just eyecandy and 120gb harddrive, so I'm going for the cheapest one with harddrive. The 360 Pro with 20gb

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:44 PM

I donated $30 (the email address will either say ultima2876@gmail.com or stilmitt@gmail.com - me and my girlfriend share a paypal account). I'd donate more but I'm a student :(

Good luck!

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2009 at 4:47 PM

And I've already received it. Thank you for your donation. I've send a personal thank you letter to each and every of you.

You can be seen on the donations page along with the others.

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I can send a brand new 60GB HDD. Let me know where you'd like me to ship to...

chris

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2009 at 7:21 PM

That is very nice of you Chris. Unfortunately I live in Denmark, so there will be some shipping costs involved. That is not a big problem in itself as I should be able to pay them, but there is also the question of warranty.

I will keep you in mind if anything should happen that requires me getting a new harddrive.

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:29 PM

I don't have a problem shipping it, my FedEx account goes all over the world ;)    

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Thinking about it some more... why don't you release a simple, yet elegant 2D game based on your engine to the Xbox Community?  A 200 MS Point game could earn you $1.50 for every purchase.  Out of the 400 community games out there, less than a handful are worth purchasing.  http://creators.xna.com/en-US/community_spotlight_colosseum looked promising, until I could not get past the training !

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2009 at 8:06 PM

It is a question of time. I'm a full-time student and I have 3 small low paid jobs. So time is a hard thing to come by and thus I mostly work on Farseer Physics in the night :)

I also suck at graphics and I've been trying to find some good artists (where I live) for some time, but I've been unable to find anyone with the required skills. Those two thing together made me decide that it is better for me to create libraries for others to use in their games and use my time and effort on that.
Anyway, it is a great idea you came up with, and if I ever get a good game together, I might do exactly that.

Jul 23, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Hey genbox i have just donated $100 USD

You could perhaps get a arcade xbox (saving another 50$) and then get fixitchris to send you the harddrive he has??

Anyway i hope the 100 shows my appreciation for all the work you put into this in your spare time. And mabey it will inspire some more people to donate. i would donate more but i am just out of school and the only place i get money is working at mcdonolds lol.

Jul 23, 2009 at 1:24 PM

True... Also can't forget about the $100 for Creator membership.

Jul 23, 2009 at 3:37 PM

really sorry ....

I'm from Iran and there is no way to use any Credite Card to donate.sorry.

Jul 23, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Hi genbox,

$20 from Sweden sent (Jonas) :)
Keep up the good work!

BR
Jonas

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:25 PM

This is true... I completely forgot about the $100 for a creators club membership. Hmm...

An interesting idea I had earlier based on the "create a community game" idea was that some of us, as a community, could work on a game using Farseer and donate the proceeds (or maybe 50% of them, to give people some more incentive to work on it!) to the Farseer team. It would also be a great opportunity for testing Farseer and finding more garbage problems/bugs to fix, especially on the Xbox 360.

I would be interested in taking a supporting role in such a project.

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:28 PM

isnt a 4 month membership only $40?

anyway whats the telly at now?

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Hey guys i was wondering if i could get any of you to review my game

if you have a creators club membership etc.

Hey was wondering if you could review my game Zombies 2.0 It would mean alot to me.
Anyway also my personal e-mail is danthekilla@hotmail.com
If at anytime you guys need a review just e-mail me.

here is the link to it
http://catalog.xna.com/en-US/GameDetails.aspx?catalogEntryId=9febd9ef-cf50-42e1-bbef-c417891ab1b4&type=1

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Ultima, whats the game idea?

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I put in my donation too -- for the glory of 3.0!

~Alex

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:29 PM

@Ultima & @fixitchris:

I think that is a really great idea!  If you guys want to do something small along those lines I'd like to help.

I don't have any major ideas yet.  To teach myself the physics engine I'm making a small grapple-ascent game -- mostly based on the super-addicting Gravity Hook : (http://www.adamatomic.com/gravity/) so there's one idea.  I can post a video of what I've got later if you like, but it's not very pretty yet.

Coordinator
Jul 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I go to sleep and wake up with 62 waiting emails. Among them are $170 USD worth of donations... Wow was my first thought. Really great work guys!

Also a big thanks to danthekilla for donating $100 USD, that is a huge amount and it really helped out. Thanks to all of you who donated, you are the essence of a great community!

The status right now is that we have exactly $304.81 USD on our paypal account (with paypal fees included).

@danthekilla: Great idea on the Xbox Arcade. I've written an email to fixitchris with my address. I found a Xbox360 arcade for $230, so once I get the harddrive, I'm going to buy one of those.

@MahdiBahrami: Don't be sorry. We have reached our goal for the Xbox, I appreciate you wanting to donate, but can't. Paypal's country banning is just stupid and the easy way out.

@Ultima2876: Good idea. If you need help or anything at some point, don't hesitate to ask.

Jul 23, 2009 at 7:05 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2009 at 7:06 PM

@all: HDD is packed in a box; going to fedex tomorrow.

@AleXna: Gravity Hook is a pretty good concept.  I can see where this could go.  One game I enjoyed back in the DOS days was H20. And later on Warheads.

@danthe: I'm in as long as we use FlatRedBall to drive the content and use Farseer for ... well... the physics.

Anyone art saavy?

Jul 23, 2009 at 9:05 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2009 at 9:08 PM

@Ultima2876 : good idea... this is the only way that i can help...  i'm ready to work on this project.

sorry for my bad english.

Jul 23, 2009 at 9:21 PM

I'll be checking out FlatRedBall later today -- I don't know what it does yet!

As long as it's a little game I can do art - I don't have the time/resources to fill anything bigger than something like Gravity Hook or the Motocross game.

Jul 23, 2009 at 9:40 PM

@alexna: http://frbfarseer.codeplex.com/ < here is some code for working FRB and Farseer together.

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:20 AM

FlatRedBall seems nice. It'd be good to base the game off of an engine to allow us to get up and running quickly. We need to have some kind of discussion area (unless we can just make a topic here for discussions relating to the community project?), as well as someone to deal with the project management. Democracy is totally in these days, but we still need some form of supervisor to make sure progress is being made and to keep the pipes clean...

Also, we'll be needing a source repository. If we want the full source code available to the public (plus a discussion forum etc), we can use codeplex. Otherwise, there's xp-dev which I use for my personal projects. Does everyone who wants to be involved know the basics of using SVN to check out, update and commit changes to projects? What are our thoughts on going open source and such?

As for the game idea... I hadn't really thought that far ahead. I think the best thing to do is brainstorm until we have a project that everyone is interested in (and something that will show off Farseer!), then work from there. I quite like the grappling hook idea but maybe we should apply it to a simple platformer (not sure if it's been done already)? I think being able to do nice level designs would be a big plus, and Farseer definitely works excellently in platformers as I have firsthand experience.

I'll have a play with FlatRedBall in the meantime and see what it's all about. As for art... I'm a programmer and musician. I can do the most basic of stuff in photoshop but I'm no artist :P

Coordinator
Jul 24, 2009 at 4:34 AM

@Ultima2876: I know the guy behind the project and I know that he is ready to help with anything. If something FRB related comes up, just ask on their forums and you are sure to get a quality answer within a short period of time. A big plus if you ask me.

As for the hosting, Codeplex is really nice and it evolves all the time. The source control is ok stable (plus I like team foundation a lot) and the web interface makes it so much easier. Also, if you guys get together for a game, I'm ready to post details, updates, links and everything else that is needed for you guys to get attention. If you guys do this for the Farseer project. I'll make sure we work close together to get a perfect result out of it.

I've always really liked the tank from our samples. Some nice graphics and a turret on that tank and it would be perfect. It might not be a good main character as it lacks personality, but it would be a good ally or enemy.

I would also like to give some attention to the Mercury Particle Engine project that I'm also a developer on. It has some really nice features and it keeps getting better and better. It even has a Farseer Physics integration module to make it work easily with FPE.

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:29 AM
Edited Jul 24, 2009 at 5:32 AM

i can help with graphics. some screen shots of my last game are here  ( a game based on soft body physics): ( 1 , 2 , 3 ,4 )

""If we want the full source code available to the public""

yes i think it's better to be an open source game.

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:57 PM

FRB has a lot of documentation and great support.  It also has GUI tools based on its own implementation that help create animations, scenes, etc.  The basis of the engine is the static FRBservices class.  It contains easy to work with managers: ScreenManager, SpriteManager, ModelManager, TextManager, GuiManager, ShapeManager, AudioManager, InputManager.  Then you create a Screen (which is like a level), optionally a Scene which is a grouping of Sprites.  Each Sprite is a PositionedObject...

We can use frbfarseer.codeplex.com to get the design down (derived classes from FRB and Farseer), I added you guys as developers already.  Then once we get the mechanics down, we can move to a different codplex project and open source is fine with me. Let's analyze Grappling Hook from the XNA perspective and see where it takes us.  I like the idea of soft bodies and even object destruction (based on forces applied by another object).

Having two coordinators with a similar vision would be ideal.

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Ive made a tank example long time ago, just for the fun of it. I just changed the original demo 6 example.

You can download the project here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CE0S0U5Z

Go full screen and hit F1 (For detailed view) use the arrow keys to drive.. Create obstacles with your mouse, click somewere.

Maybe someone could use this or just play around with it ;)

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:38 PM

OK, so a combination of FRB, Farseer and the Mercury Particle Engine, hosted on codeplex with two coordinators. Sounds good to me. I think the next step is to get the codeplex set up (unless we're using the FRB+Farseer one that fixitchris has) and start considering the game itself.

I think the first step is to decide the basic genre. I'm pretty sure noone wants to do a puzzle game (or anything too out there, like pet simulators or whatever). Obviously it's going to be a 2D game too. That pretty much leaves platformers, racers, or shoot-em-ups. The first thing that popped into my mind when the tank was mentioned was Metal Slug, but would people rather go with the Grappling Hook idea? Does anyone have any other possibilities? I like the idea of Dynamite Headdy (Youtube video, Wikipedia) where you use your head (literally) to get through the levels.

What role does everyone want in the design/development process? I think we need some form of project management - schedules, a central design document (although this can be very loose, just a list so everyone knows where they stand) and a finalised list of who is involved and doing what.

I'm up for helping out with general project management (including providing game ideas, suggestions on project direction, scheduling and assignment of tasks) and programming, and I can also do music of many different styles. For a look at my work (design, programming and music) check out my blog at http://www.lunaticpandora.com.

After we've decided these things I think we need to all have a look at the tools and middlewares we're using and sort out our primary communication method. Conferencing with msn would be good if available, and individual chats between team members on msn (or any other chat service) would be ideal. Obviously communication through a forum is also important, as this lets the public give feedback on ideas as well as suggestions.

Finally we can start thinking about setting targets in terms of development time (as well as a final target for our release - september? december? february?) and actually get to work.

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:11 PM

I moved the discussion to : http://frbfarseer.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=63464

We're jamming up the thread here.

Coordinator
Jul 24, 2009 at 8:10 PM

A lot of things on the table already. Looks good.

Metal Slug really hit the nail on the head for both its platform and targeted audience. Looks like some of you guys already have an idea in your head. You could make a simply drawing of the concepts so others can take a look at it and see if it is any good.

Also, to show off the physics engine, you could have a lot of movement and effects. Example: Magnetism, force (gravitational perhaps?) weapons, explosions, game dynamics (like hinge stuff together - like attaching grappling hook to a bomb and shoot it up onto the roof) and stuff like that.

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Another excellent game that shows off physics well is N (or N+) - if you haven't played it the PC version is free (flash - playable online). Maybe we could strive for something like this, but with the grappling hook mechanic?

I'm not 100% keen on the idea of the straight grappling hook game, mainly because having a decent control scheme on the xbox would be difficult - it works well with the mouse, because you can do quick reflex movements, but once you get into the realm of the analog stick the game concept breaks down (at least in my mind). The grappling hook mechanic itself is cool, but I really do think it'd be far better used in a platformer game like N or metal slug or something.

Again, another novel platformer that is fun and addictive is Jumper - There's a download link on the page here.Again, simple platforming game mechanics, but well designed.

Note; I've posted here too because I'm not sure how much exposure fixitchris' link is getting. At this early stage it's critical that we get everyone's opinions so we can create a game as a community that everyone likes and wants to be a part of.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is that our world does not have to be 2D for a side-scroller.  We can implement 3D with 2D physics to give the world depth, constraining ourselves to the X/Y axis.

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:23 AM

N is much more fun when you get the standalone version from the creator's website, metanet. This way, you get to play the latest version and you're sure to get a virus free version.

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Yeah, I agree that N is better if you play the standalone version from the creator's site.

As for 2D world with 3D graphics, I think it depends on what kind of artists we have at our disposal. If we have competent 3D modellers but no 2D sprite artists, we should definitely go with 3D. But it's possible it'll be the other way round, so we have to account for that - we don't want to go 3D if we have no modellers!

I went with 3D graphics for my PC version of RoTo, but for my XNA version I'm going with pure 2D because it quite simply looks cleaner and nicer. 3D with cel shading is an option if we don't have anyone good at making textures...

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:57 PM

I checked out the Miner Digger game on Xbox.  I like the game because it gives you a feeling of a "treasure hunter".