Vector Designer for Farseer Physics

Topics: User Forum
Aug 25, 2009 at 2:10 AM

I made a little tool a while back for editing vectors in Silverlight, I finally redid my website and put it up:

http://www.ddtmm.com/post/Vector-Designer-for-Farseer-Physics.aspx

I wouldn't mind adding any features if requested.

Coordinator
Aug 25, 2009 at 4:33 PM

That is a really cool application.

I like the simplicity and look of it. I especially like you made it Silverlight - it is perfect for an application like this. I have some features you could implement if you like:

1. Auto-detect

Like the texture-to-vertices algorithm in the Farseer Physics toolset, you simply click a button and it will automatically find the vertices with a certain resolution (detail). You are welcome to use the FPE code itself to achieve this. There are times where you need to fiddle a little with the vertices created by the algorithm, a tool like this would be perfect for that.

2. Convex hull

Farseer Physics Engine 3.0 will be convex-only. You currently add vertices and draw a line between the vertices in the order they are created. If you add a convex hull algorithm you can reorder the vertices to outline the geometry with no overlaps. Much like what is found here.

---

Keep up the good work.

Aug 25, 2009 at 10:10 PM

For 2, I will definetly check it out, because I've dealt with that issue.  I get around it because I've used the tool enough that it is automatic for me (keyboard shortcuts help), but it would be much easier if it was click and its sorted -- I tried to write my own algorithim but it didn't work.

I quite don't get #1, but if you're talking about getting the Path Data, that is definitely something I can look into. 

Coordinator
Aug 25, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Sorry about that. I wrote the post in notepad and must have failed at some point in the copy&paste.

I meant to say that you could support uploading an image and display it so you can map the outline of the image. Then the previous message starts; you auto detect the outline of the image and then use the vector tool to correct the result.