Orbiting Objects

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:57 PM

I'm currently trying to create a game with several stages one of which is an atomic stage, so far attempts at making circles stick together have created unnatural results and a reoccuring glitch, because of this I'm using another approach. My goal is to instead add my objects into orbits around the inital atom. There will be a simple ball surrounded by 8 rings. Each ring will have room for one additonal circular shape to enter it. when a smaller object comes in contact with a ring it will orbit the main object along that ring. If a larger object comes along and hits it it can knock other atoms out of their orbits with a certain amount of force this object will be invulnerable to you for a short time unable to rejoin the atom therefore it will not just reattach. However my main problem is getting the objects to orbit using the physics simulator. I can set their paths outside of the simulator but it would be benificial to the simulation if I could do it in the engine, Largely due to the fact that all other forces acting on the object are then taken into consideration. I was wondering if theres any way to make objects orbit each other inside farseer or any way I could go about it. Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Have you thought about using a pin joint to lock a body into orbit around another? Are the rings you speak of conceptual rings, or will there actually be ring-shaped geoms?

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:04 AM

They will be shown via an overlay onto the game not actual solid objects so conceptual.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I have a single problem with pin joints to lock a body in orbit. It seems rather impossible to have the object orbit at a constant speed it will be affected largely by whats happening to the main object. This isn't necessarily bad but looks unnatural