Game in WIP using farseer

Topics: User Forum
Dec 9, 2009 at 5:59 PM
Edited Dec 9, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Hi, I just wanted to share my improvements on the game I'm developing in farseer. Is an action platformer, I need to improve the graphics though, and polish some stuff about the physics :)

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:59 AM
Edited Dec 13, 2009 at 3:42 PM

That looks awesome, pnikosis!  There are so many interesting levels you could build with that engine you've got, looks like it will be loads of fun.  It reminds me of some old games: the lifts on "impossible mission" on the C64 and the swinging lampshade from "another world" on the amiga.  Great work pnikosis.

Are you giving it a complete graphical overhaul or are you sticking with the stick figures?  It could look very very good with a full graphical overhaul, but it depends what look and feel you are after.

Is the stick figure for the main character actually a ragdoll (bodies/geoms) or is it animated?  If it is bodies/geoms how did you get it to to walk animations etc?

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Thanks Beringela :)

In fact, the lift is inspired from Impossible Mission and Elevator Action (the characters can be crushed under the lift :P ).

I want to give it a complete graphical overhaul, but stiking to a "silouhete" look, using a restricted color palete :) Also currently I'm trying to learn how to apply some visual effects to make the game prettier, but I kind suck at this.

The main character is not a ragdoll. The main idea was to create a ragdoll (in fact I think there's a thread I opened long time ago related to it), but I found too many difficulties (I have indeed a walking ragdoll prototype, but its movements are quite clumsy), so I decided to go for a more traditional way for the character: The classic rectangle (for the uper body) and circle (for the feet) combo. I created a huge animation spritesheet with the movements using different animation tools (synfig, graphics gale, etc). Right now, I'm working on optimizing the AI, as it's quite resource demanding (the enemies have line of sight, try to coordinate themselves, and "hear" noises right now). I hope I'll have a new video soon to show :D

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM
Edited Apr 12, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Hi guys, just a quick video before trying to port the game to FPE3.0 (there are some 3.0 features that I desperatly need)

Edit: Wrong video