How practical is this?

Dec 25, 2009 at 4:58 AM

Is it practical to use farseer physics as the complete collision system for my game? My game is a 2d top down real-time combat rpg very similar to the elder scrolls oblivion but again 2d and top down. I plan to use farseer physics to handle all npc, enemey, player, weapon, building collision. Is it practical or too costly to do so? if it is impractical what do you suggest.

Dec 26, 2009 at 1:20 AM

No this is a great use of farseer. My 2 previous games both used farseer to handle all collsions other than my particles.

Just remember that if you have 200+ objects you are going to start to notice performance dropping fast.
Also try out all of the broadphases (some are better when most objects are not moving that fast like in an rpg)

Good Luck.

Dec 26, 2009 at 1:36 AM

I should also say that one my 2nd game i used farseer for

Building collision, Player and enemy collsion (up to 75 on screen at a time), all bullet and weapon collision, pickup collsions and much much more.
However this was on the pc (I have tryed running it on 360 and i got 2-5 fps and that was with all rendering off...) farseer was taking 150ms per update and that was with reduced enemy numbers...

but for pc go with it because it works well.

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:04 AM

good to hear you've made games using it as your core collision systems, I don't really like to limit myself from running the game on the xbox but oh well, i suppose if i needed to I could make modifications and optimize it for an xbox release.