Flight physics?

Topics: User Forum
Jan 4, 2010 at 2:11 PM

First of all, thanks for this wonderful physics engine! It's been really useful.

My question is that is there / has there been an example of 2D airplane flight physics? I'm trying to make a "hardcore" dogfighting game, but for that I need good physics for flying. I know how an airplane flies, but coding it is a bit difficult (at least for me). So, has someone done it already and is willing to help me on this? Or are there some good tutorials? All hints are welcome!

Jan 5, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Will this be a side view game? If so you can just fake the physics until they react the way you expect.

One method might be to apply two separate forces to the plane. One in front and one in the rear. These would counter act gravity and you could easily change the amount of force based on the users input.

Another method could be to apply upward force to the plane (as a whole) based on the planes angle, speed, damage, thrust...

Here are a few links I found just by Google-ing "airplane physics formulas"

Be sure to keep us posted. I'm pretty sure you a blazing a new trail in how Farseer is being used.

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:43 AM

I was just thinking about trying to make a 2d side scrolling demo of this, in fact I still might.

Like Matt said keep us posted