Using Farseer in a platformer

Topics: User Forum
Mar 10, 2007 at 7:59 PM
I had planned on using all of Farseer for a 2D platformer that I'm working on, but in retrospect, I think that a lot of the physics of Farseer would be unnecessary and cause a lot of weirdness that you wouldn't want in a typical platformer. Has anybody had any success with this? If so, what changes if any did you make to the engine? I'm debating stripping everything from the engine aside from collision detection and response, but that might be a whole lot of work for something that won't yield a good result anyways.
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2007 at 11:32 PM
Edited Mar 10, 2007 at 11:33 PM
Just so happens I'm creating a platformer. It really depends on what kinda platformer you are going for. If you want something along the lines of Mario, then no you probably don't need a physics engine. If you are trying to creating something along the lines of Gish, then yeah you will need a physics engine.

Physics in my game plays a central role in fact it is the reason I built the physics engine.

What kind of platformer are you creating?
Mar 12, 2007 at 10:19 PM
More like Castelvania or Metroid, but that still falls into your category of non-physics Mario type games.