Snow Spill (New Game)

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:07 PM
Edited Feb 21, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Hi guys

I've just put my first Silverlight game out on the web. It's called Snow Spill and uses the Farseer Physics engine.

I've hardly shown this to anybody so any criticisms/suggestions/comments/etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:33 PM
Edited Feb 22, 2010 at 3:55 AM

It's pretty fun and kind of reminds me of crashlander's (I believe it was his) game where there's a diver

I've got a lot of suggestions. I'm sorry, but I'm fairly critical, and tell me if I went overboard, I'm trying to get better.

- Menu is off-center

- steep learning curve, most will give up because they have no attention span

maybe to fix that you can make a couple levels that are just fun, like "do as many tricks as you can!" or something

- needs better art

--- background lol? Is that supposed to be the style?

--- each segment of each connection for each segment of skier shouldn't have a border, right now he or she looks like he's made of colored poop

--- the skier him or herself is just too plain

- whoa bugs

--- I know it's hard to help, and I'm sure you've spent a lot of time on it already, but the joint-breaking is buggy

--- when landing on skis perfectly fine, it'll kill him or her more often than landing face (not head) first

--- sometimes says level failed at a time that doesn't make sense, for instance in a level or two, right before a jump it'll say level failed for no noticeable reason

- the play button looks really template and out of place

- the level instructions are plain

- overall it is too difficult to control the skier, perhaps some mass tweaks can help out

- doesn't feel like there's much of any reason to keep playing except for making the skier do funny things

-the most lasting appeal in the game is the level where you try to go as high as possible 

Those are the complaints

I did however like the small bit of training. That helped a bit in controlling the character

Nothing really weird happens, and that's good

I definitely got a few laughs out of playing.

For reference, I played for around an hour

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2010 at 3:31 AM

Good to see another game using the Ski Stunt Simulator control scheme.  That is where I got the idea for the controls for Diver and for the yet un-released Krashlander, which is much more like your game and Ski Stunt.

I think your game still has some rough edges (so do mine), but it's fun.  I get the feeling you are going for the look and feel of Ski Stunt Simulator.  I think you are not far off.  When I play your game, it really reminds me of Ski Stunt.  The controls are a bit touchy, though.

Anyway, good luck with the game.

-Jeff

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. That's really helpful.

I have spent many hours trying to get the skis to break only when you land incorrectly. I'm using a weld joint and the problem is it just doesn't care which direction force is applied when it breaks. I'm now trying out combining an angle joint and slider joint. The idea is the slider joint  will absorb some shock when you land upright. It seams to have imrpved the situation bit. I'll bet this is the reason you see level failed for no apparent reason. It's probably just the skis breaking at the bottom of a hill.

The controls are a constant battle to. It's hard for me to gage how easy they are, because I've gotten very comfortable with them.

I guess I've got some more work to do.

I am going for a Ski Stunt Simulator clone. I feel like Ski Stunt didn't go as far as it could have. Lack of levels mostly (especially in the online version). I figure if I can get the fundamentals worked out I could have a very addictive game, and it would be a great example of what Silverlight has to offer the online gaming community.

Nick

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:55 AM
Edited Mar 23, 2010 at 7:56 AM

I've spent the last month hard at work improving Snow Spill, and just put the new version out today.

I made many improvements but most notably there are now more then twice as many levels.

Thanks for the Farseer Physics Engine.

Nick
Coordinator
Mar 23, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Hey Nick,

Great update.  The game controls feel much smoother now.

What are your plans for the game?  You should throw some AdSense ads on you site and try to make a little money off the game.

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Hey Nick,

Great update.  The game controls feel much smoother now.

What are your plans for the game?  You should throw some AdSense ads on you site and try to make a little money off the game.

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:23 PM

I think it's great.

I wouldn't change much at all.

If I were you I would look into porting it to Windows Phone 7 and using touch and acceleromotor for controls.

This is a perfect fit for the mobile market.

Allan

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:29 PM
Thank you for the complements There are some AdSense ads on the site. Maybe there not placed ideally to get clicks, especially if you didn't even notice them. I think I'll have to reconsider their placement. My only plans for the game was to promote it and hopefully make a little money though the ads. I hadn't considered porting it to a mobile device, or anything else really. I'm open to ideas though.
Mar 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM
Edited Mar 24, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Well it seems to me that if you put that much effort into a creation it's worth pursuing porting it to a digital distribution platform where you can be paid for your efforts.

(but that's just me.  I've never really understood the whole.. let's make Free Flash games for the internet thing)

I think Windows Phone 7 is a perfect fit since Farseer works on WP7 and so does Silverlight.  You should be able to get it running in a day or two using the just released Preview Tools for WP7.

I have a very early project I started just a month ago using XNA and Farseer and ported it in a few days to WP7 (Link).  It would have been shorter but I was just introduced to C# and Object Oriented Programming 18 months ago and no one had proted Farseer XNA yet.  Now that Matt has ported Farseer to WP7, it's really easy.

http://www.screentoaster.com/watch/stUEpWS0VJRFtZSV1UXVJaV1NQ/farseer_xna_on_windows_phone_7

I like examples of games like Canabalt.  Originally developed in Flash and still available for free on the internet, but because of it's design, the game is really perfectly suited for a quick pick up and play for a few seconds mobile market.  So the free play on the internet version really promotes and markets the mobile version which is sold on the Apple App store.

And that's another path to consider.  With MonoTouch you could port it to iPhone.  That is if you could stomach buying an iPhone to test and Mac to develop on.

Allan

Coordinator
Mar 24, 2010 at 9:18 PM

I agree you should consider porting it to WP7.  I'm currently working on Krashlander (mentioned way above) and plan to have version for the web and phone.

In addition to that I plan on porting my other games: Diver, Tire Storm, and Diver2 to the phone as well.

I'll try to put a post about your game out on my blog in the next day or two.  Probably won't drive a lot of traffic, but it might help a little.

-Jeff

Coordinator
Mar 24, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Just looked again at your site. Not sure how I missed the ads last time.  I think they are fine where you have them.

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:56 PM

That would be great if you would post about Snow Spill on your blog... And looking at it now I see you already have. Thank you very much.

I had already added another ad to the page early yesterday morning, so you were probably looking at the changed copy by then. The ads were much more hidden before the change. ...Just thought I'd let you know you not going crazy.

I've looked into WP7 a bit. I think I'll try it out. Although I read that the emulator doesn't emulate the accelerometer (I'm not sure how it would, anyway) so without actually buying one I'm not sure how I'll try out the game play. Still it sounds like worth trying.

Nick