Working out a force vector

Topics: Developer Forum
Oct 31, 2007 at 9:38 AM
This is probably a really silly problem.

I have rectangular bodies, and I am trying to apply a force in the direction they are facing.

However when I apply rotation as well, they follow a non-circular path.

If the code doesn't obviously show what I am doing wrong, I can upload an image and solution later on.

private void AccelerateUnit(Body b1, bool fwd)
float force = 80000;

if (fwd)

force = -force;

float x = (float)(Math.Sin(-b1.Rotation) * force);
float y = (float)(Math.Cos(-b1.Rotation) * force);

b1.ApplyForce(new Vector2(x, y));

The units motion is like a rounded off square, with the corners being on the axis.

Cheers all!
Oct 31, 2007 at 11:27 AM
you might try using Body.XVectorInWorldCoordinates

This will return a unit world vector pointing the local x-direction of your body.

So, if +X represents your bodies "forward facing" direction then you would apply the following force.

body.ApplyForce(body.XVectorInWorldCoordinates * 8000) 'where 8000 is the magnitude of the force you are applying.
Oct 31, 2007 at 11:30 AM
Edited Oct 31, 2007 at 11:34 AM
EDIT : I just tried using the xVectorInWorldCoords and I still got the same response...

I adapted the quickstart to demonstrate this.

Here is the code for the game1.cs (if you press left and fwd at the same time, you will see it leave a roundysquare trail behind it)

All you need to do is paste this over the normal game.cs and you should be good to go.

Thanks very much.

ps.. I have done lots of other integration work on farseer, to do with predicting future locations, and integrating with the ai, I haven't just spent the last couple of weeks trying to make a rectangle move!

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:21 PM
Hello, I have uploaded an image of the effect to here...

and an adapted version of the quickstart project here... (including crashlanders suggested change)

If anyone could hit me with the clue stick as to what I am doing wrong, I would be most greatful.

Cheers all,

(I am really enjoying using farseer, on my next project I hope to delve a little deeper into it's functionality)
Nov 1, 2007 at 2:44 PM
I did some more experimenting with this on the train today.

The effect seems to be more pronounced when I am using greater values for the LinearDragCoefficient.

(No idea why though)
Nov 1, 2007 at 4:29 PM
what if you set linear drag to zero? just curious.

Also, try using an a shape that is symetrical like a square or a circle.
Nov 1, 2007 at 9:55 PM
Edited Nov 1, 2007 at 9:56 PM
Hello again.

I have made a little experimenty program that allows easy tweaking of values to see this effect.

The test buttons at the top set up the variables in various example configurations.

I think I could be doing something odd when I am applying the force?
Nov 1, 2007 at 11:24 PM
Interesting. definetly seem odd that it traces out a square with rounded corners... I'll look at it and see if I can find an explanation.
Nov 2, 2007 at 9:46 AM

If you want me to try out anything else just give me a shout.

I am working round my problem, by not applying linear friction, and instead applying my own declerating forces.
(Which is nice, as it allows me to apply a greater deceleration force against motion perpendicular to the heading of the body)

(I can now continue on to play with wind and collision with land, yay!)