Pablo: The Mexican Jumping Spider! (new game in development)

Topics: User Forum
Mar 28, 2010 at 6:14 AM

I thought I'd take a little time to introduce the XNA game I am developing, and thank the authors for providing the library that has brought us all together here.

I'll have some questions in the future; there are a couple of quirks that I'd like to understand a bit better. For now though, here's an early wip video of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcNvpiIM_Ds

The game will be a 2.5d platformer (a platformer using farseer... a shock I know). The video shows the testing playground, complete with a see-saw and springboard. The character (the inner circle) and his phantom (the larger circle). The phantom is used to filter the geometry I test against to find the floor, walls, etc. (I've extended the ray helper so I can provide my own geometry list). The wall-crawling is done using a revolute joint that I re-anchor and re-body as the character moves around (I have done a little more work on this after the video was posted, and I'm now able to crawl all the way around the static geometry of the playground, it's really quite fun). And finally, it also shows the changes I've made to the simulator view to enable the free cam to view the 2d physics world in 3d space.

Thanks for reading/watching. If you have any comments or feedback, I'd appreciate it if you could spare a few moments to reply :)

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Hi Shivajs,

It looks very interesting!  I really like the way you've used the springboards and pivots for platforms.  It blew me away when the camera zoomed away into 3D but kept the game in 2D too!  Really nice touch.

Good luck with developing! Keep us updated!

Alan