How to "dumb down" Farseer

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
May 6, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I'm using Farseer as my physics engine in my game and am trying to optimize it as best as I can for Xbox. There are many things to Farseer that I don't need such as any kind of spring. I don't know EVERYTHING to Farseer by any means which is why I am here to ask for help. Is there anything I can essentially "turn off" from being done. Heck I may be totally off of what I'm saying. I just need some way to optimize it better to Xbox. ANY ideas are welcome!

May 7, 2010 at 12:43 AM

As long as you don't add springs, joints, logics or whatever to the engine, they won't affect performance. To keep performance good you should have as few of everything as you can.

Joints and springs are the worst, performance wise, so keep them to a minimum.

But as long as you haven't created and added them, they won't affect the engine at all.

May 7, 2010 at 5:06 AM

Ok cool! Thanks for the reply on that. Now are there other ways to optimize. Like right now, I have it when enemies get so far away from the main character. I have them become "inactive" and they aren't updated. I know you can use an inactivity controller(?) and other things to optimize but what specifically is there? Or could someone at least point me in the direction that I should look for all of this stuff? I've been looking through the different things available on bodies and geoms but haven't looked too much further outside of that. 

Developer
May 8, 2010 at 1:09 AM

If you really need Xbox performance you should use 3.0 it should hopefully be released by the end of May.

May 8, 2010 at 6:03 AM

I read that current projects shouldn't be moved over to 3.0 if 2.0 is being used. Is it a hard switch? I haven't been following very strong all of the differences in coding for it. I took some look at Box2D and everything but have been holding off until there is a 3.0 out.