Mention Your Project Here

Topics: User Forum
Nov 8, 2006 at 7:57 AM
I'm a fan of reusable threads, so:

Anyone working on a project which utilizes Farseer, feel free to say hi in this thread.

I'm Jöran Omark, and I run XNAtutorial.com. I'll look into integrating Farseer into my tutorial series, because 87% of my viewership voted to include Farseer in the project!

Farseer does look like a close match to what my platform game tutorials need, at least on the surface, so I hope the API holds up as well (on the pedagogical side I mean). Considering what I've seen so far, I think it will.

I'll most likely be using Farseer until I get to the point when I make tutorials on implementing physics from scratch, which could be a long time away.

Cheers!
Jöran
Coordinator
Nov 8, 2006 at 1:11 PM
Well, I'm building this engine, but I'm also working on a mini-game that will act as a prototype for a larger game in the future. The mini-game's working title is "Ski Jump". I don't have any thing on-screen yet, but when I do I will post about it.

@Jöran, glad to hear you will be using my engine for some tutorials. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be getting a .chm style help file together over the next few weeks/days which should help you.

-Jeff Weber
Nov 8, 2006 at 9:18 PM
Hi!

I'm using Farseer for a small freeware game where you have to navigate a ball through a maze by tilting the maze itself. The game appears to be in 3D, but given that the ball is limited to the board surface, Farseer was the ideal candidate forthe physics in this game.

The game isn't yet finished but will probably only take a few days more till it's done.
A screenshot of the game in action as well as a working test build can be found here: http://www.nuclex.org/node/122

Thanks for the great physics engine!

-Markus-
Nov 10, 2006 at 9:33 AM
Jeff, I just had time to sit an hour with Farseer. It plugged right into my code! I had to change a handful of lines, that was it. Amazing!

I just replaced a BoundingSphere with a RigidBodyCircle, and reassigned some rotation and location from the Farseer code to my Draw() method. I like it!

Keep up the good work!

I'm eagerly awaiting Ski Jump, so I can blog it...

And Markus, I need to blog you in my next Update as well. Can't believe I've missed subscribing to your feed! Bad Jöran, bad! (c:

Cheers!
Jöran
Nov 11, 2006 at 7:18 PM
Hi,
I'm Chuck and I'm in the Xbox360 Homebrew contest, and I've decided to use Farseer for it. You can see my game progress at
http://xbox360homebrew.com/blogs/darth_fahza/default.aspx

I added FarseeXNAPhysics into my solution in an hour the other night. I just took a look at your sample game 5, to see how you implemented the engine. Very nice.

I'm tried your RigidBodySprite, and put the XNA blocks in my game. That works.

My plan is to replace the Texture2D in the RigidBodySprite with my sprite class, which contains a Texture and the features for frame animation. I'll strip out what becomes redundant in my sprite class and modify a couple methods from RigidBodySprite and it should look great. I can send those modified sprite classes back to you if you want them.

I still haven't looked into how Farseer handles collisions and how I will integrate my terrain into the collision detection, but i'm hopefull it will work.

Overall, I've found Farseer to be very well done. It's also nice to see a project using Camel and Pascal case naming as per Microsoft's best practices for dotnet programming, rather than the C++ hungarian which seems to sneak into c# xna tutorials alot. ;)

Coordinator
Nov 12, 2006 at 12:30 AM
Hi Chuck,
Good to hear you are finding my engine useful.

Those RigidBodySprites are just something I thru together to test my engine, they aren't really part of the engine, but I'm glad you found it useful.

I've actually got a seperate graphics/game layer I've been working on. Thanks for the offer of your sprites, but I like doing most the work myself as it helps me learn XNA.

Farseer's collision is all polygon based, so for your landscapes, I would just creaete set of vertices that map to it's surface and you should be good. I discuss this some in the unfinished documentation. You can find a link on the home page.

As for following Microsoft standards, I've got a copy of "Framework Design Guidelines" written by the members of the .Net team. I follow it the best I can but I'm sure there are places I don't follow it exactly.

Anyway good luck with your game. I will keep any eye on it.