VS 2010 + XNA 4.0 + Farseer 3.0

Oct 10, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Hello there, as in the topic. I got visual studio 2010 (profesional, i am a student), xna 4.0 and just downloaded this engine. I know its stupid but i dont know how even use it in my projects. I added to references the dll and nothing happens. Can anyone write soultion ? Thx

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Farseer Physics Engine 3.0 is not compatible with XNA 4.0. If you need support for XNA 4.0, you should download the latest version from the source control.

There are some samples you can run inside the samples folder. The HelloWorld samples shows you the very basics on how to implement FPE in your project.

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:07 PM
Edited Oct 10, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Fine, so maybe another question. When creating new project i cant choose XNA 3.1 (which i got installed), ady ideas why ? It would be easier to take lower xna for me cuz probably i wil not use any new functions.

EDIT: I can take xna 3.1 but in vs2008. Why not in 2010, damn.

Oct 10, 2010 at 5:30 PM

I'm guessing xna 3.0/3.1 is only supported in vs2008, and xna 4 is only supported in 2010.

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:05 PM

I don't know if it's possible because first was vs2010 and then xna 4.0 so... somethings weird here.

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Yeah you can't use xna 3.1 with VS 2010 as far as I know, only 2008. Kinda weird but oh well.

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:39 AM

With Tuesday's announcement, it looks like XNA 4 is now going to be pushed fairly quickly.  How soon until an official release of FP which is XNA 4 compatible?

Coordinator
Oct 14, 2010 at 8:43 AM

It sounds like a lot of people are using XNA 4.0 already. I will probably push a release once XNA 4.0 has been released - I hope to update the core of the engine first tho.

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Thanks Genbox.  I was just trying to decide if I should try to upgrade to VS2010/XNA4 soon or not.  You're the man.

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Wake up. XNA 4.0 was released at 16 september.

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:50 PM
Edited Oct 14, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Hmm, CDev7, XNA 4 hasn't been released, and wasn't released on Sept 16.  It has been available for longer than that, but for early adopters.  Even so, they had no official release dates announced until a few days ago.  That is what I am referring to.  Many of us wouldn't want to jump on the XNA 4 bandwagon if we weren't going to be able to deploy or release a game on XBLIG or WP7.  Until this week's announcement, we could only assume that it might not be until next year.  Even now, you still can't deploy an XNA 4 game for WP7 or XBLIG.  The official word is this:

"Update: 4.0 Submissions for Xbox LIVE Indie Games
Submitted10/12/2010

• The final version of XNA Game Studio Connect will be released later this fall. Once the final version of XNA Game Studio Connect is released, there will be a 90-day window where you can submit games created with XNA Game Studio 3.1 or games created with XNA Game Studio 4.0. After that 90-day window is up, you will only be able to submit games created with XNA Game Studio 4.0.
  • If you are starting a new Xbox 360 game project (or you have a project in progress that you do not expect to complete by the end of this year), we recommend that you start the project with XNA Game Studio 4.0 or port your current project to XNA Game Studio 4.0.
  • Stay tuned to the XNA Game Studio Team Blog and the App Hub site for further announcements regarding the exact release date for the final version of XNA Game Studio connect and the start of the 90-day window.
  • At this time, only games created in XNA Game Studio 3.1 can enter the peer review or playtest process. Games made in XNA Game Studio 4.0 will not currently be accepted by the system."

If I wanted to release my game soon, or even if I wanted to release in 100 days from now (and wasn't targeting WP7), XNA 3.1 is still the way to go.

So, who needs to wake up? :P  

Coordinator
Oct 15, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Looks like there there was a release on 16. sept. Never heard about the release until now.

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:54 AM

Yeah, I didn't see that either.  The part for closing the loop (so to speak) is still unreleased, and so people who are close to completion don't need to go do anything drastic.  If you can't yet publish a game, and there is at least 90 days plus the time between now and the Connect release, then there is plenty of time to decide what version to use.

Oct 15, 2010 at 6:02 AM
Edited Oct 15, 2010 at 7:04 AM

Hm.. redistributable is downloadeable, xna library is working and accept run games for windows.. so why not make a release of farseer ?

...added later

Ah. Maybe this library must charge tests on xbox and wp7 before release..

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I only just started using xna last weekend. When you go to the xna web site, there is no (obvious) option to download 3.1, only 4.

I have been using the source release of farseer, and found it worked fine, apart from the fact I had to re-add all the xna libraries, as the references to them seemed broken (this has been mentioned elsewhere).