failed at the first hurdle

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Hi,

I have just downloaded the 'Farseer Physics Engine 3.1' but when i try and open the project in visual studio 2008 i get the following error.

unrecognised project no adapter available

Am i missing something?

Thanks

Developer
Dec 17, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Yes ;)

Farseer 3.1 "officially" only supports XNA 4 and XNA 4 just supports Visual Studio 2010.

So either switch to XNA 4 / VS 2010 (Express) 

or

Take XNA 3.1 / VS 2008 / Farseer 3.0

As Farseer is not that dependent on XNA 4 and does not use any of the new C# features (yet). So you might also be able to create a new VS 2008 project file and import all the Farseer 3.1 files. Content management changed quite a bit in XNA 4 so getting the debugView and/or the Samples to work, would require some effort from your side, but it should be possible. If it is worth the hassle is totally up to you I guess ;)

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Will my projects that i have already created in xna 3.1 work ok in xna 4. These have nothing to to with farseer.

Thanks

Developer
Dec 17, 2010 at 11:04 PM
Edited Dec 17, 2010 at 11:05 PM

I guess they should. Depends a lot on what you are using. They made content projects seperate projects next to the XNA 4 game, loading content is pretty much the same though. 2D graphics and spritebatch work the same as before, but they changed a lot regarding setting of renderstates, shaders and how the effect class works. Most of the changes are for the better if you ask me though and it is definitely worth switching. You normally have to manually adjust a few details here and there for XNA 3.1 projects but most of them are straightforward.

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Ok,

Thanks for the info.