Rotating joints with slack

Topics: User Forum
Mar 18, 2008 at 4:57 AM
I'm trying to get rope-like swinging behavior for a character. I've started with revolute joints, and I'm getting everything I need out of the sim except for the concept of slack.
Currently the joint behaves like a rigid bar, but if the character receives an impulse that would move it towards the fulcrum, I want it to be able to travel that direction and pull taught when he reaches the extents of the length of the 'rope'.
I don't care about rope visualization right now, just that basic slack functionality for the time being. I'm new to Farseer, so I know I must be overlooking something .
Mar 19, 2008 at 11:28 AM
possibly try the slider joint... I haven't tried making a rope with it yet so I'm not sure it will work.
Mar 23, 2008 at 9:16 PM
Ok, so I've cloned the Pin joint with a class called SlackPinJoint. I've found some areas that I could probably muck around with to get my slack functionality to work, but I don't know exactly what to change. I know I have to do something about the targetDistance value and make sure that if the distance is less, the joint doesn't care. From there I'll use TargetDistance as a maximum rope length and implement extend() and contract() methods to lengthen and shorten it.

Any ideas where I should start?
Mar 29, 2008 at 1:17 PM
Is there a way to do this with a loose spring joint that has a maximum length? If I don't figure out a solution pretty soon I'm probably going to have to go back to my own hand rolled solution.