Support for Zune?

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Mar 18, 2008 at 10:44 PM
I was wondering if there would be support for the zune when Xna 3.0 comes out. Of course I'm only talking about 2D so it the engine might have to be trimmed down a little.
Mar 19, 2008 at 11:30 AM
This engine only does 2D anyway.

Yeah, I'll try to support the Zune. It just going to use subset of the XNA Framework so it shouldn't be an issue. Performance will be interesting, though.
Mar 19, 2008 at 9:33 PM
Yeah sorry new to this engine (very new) you can see the rough specifications here if you need help:
May 7, 2008 at 10:06 PM
So now that the XNA 3.0 CTP is out (it came out today, will there be a Zune project release in the makings? I'm not trying to rush anybody, I was just wondering.
May 8, 2008 at 11:24 AM
Probably not from me. I'm tied up with my current game and I don't own a Zune.

Maybe someone else can tackle it. The engine shouldn't need much more than to be converted to VS 2008
May 12, 2008 at 5:51 AM
I made a first attempt. I just realized I have no place to host it at the moment.

The only problems I came across are that Zune projects do not define the XNA macro, so any #if !XNA etc.. type conditionals will be incorrect. I corrected them. The other problem is that the Zune does not have a keyboard or mouse, unlike the XBOX which has access to a keyboard if plugged in. The Zune, as far as I can determine (I don't have one myself), pretends that it has a gamepad. In the same style as the InputState.MenuUp properties, I added a set of eight movement properties to check if up left down right were pressed this frame or are currently pressed (for example, NewUpPress for an "up" press this frame, UpPressed for up is currently pressed). I don't have time to add properties for other buttons so you can turn on debug view or add torque. I'll message crashlander with my email to see if I can email it directly. I'll be gone until wednesday so unless he replies before 9:30 I won't be able to respond until then.
May 12, 2008 at 12:51 PM
OK, found his email. It's been mailed. Heheh.

Anyway, I'm out of here! :P I'm officially on vacation.
May 12, 2008 at 11:49 PM
Thanks for the help!  Am I correct in saying that you have made a release and sent it to crashlander for Zune?  If so I won't bother with making my own because I have other things to attend to.
May 13, 2008 at 1:08 AM

SomethingNew wrote:
Thanks for the help!  Am I correct in saying that you have made a release and sent it to crashlander for Zune?  If so I won't bother with making my own because I have other things to attend to.

Well I didn't have time to polish up an official "release" but I created the zune projects for the library and the demos and I fixed all of the conditional compilation to be aware of the zune, since the zune has access to xna's math helpers and classes so they don't need to be replaced by farseer's like with silverlight. I had to disable some features, like the debug view and torque controls. Plus I don't have a zune so I could not test it at all. But I did take some time to abstract some of the input code in the demos because unlike the xbox, xna-pc, and silverlight, the zune only has access to a gamepad, which I'm assuming is a virtual gamepad using the zune buttons.
May 13, 2008 at 12:46 PM
I did get the email from Jeremy, but I haven't had time to look at it due to other projects.

I will probably not have time to do much with it until the final XNA 3.0 release comes out. In the meantime, I can post Jeremy's .zip to the CodePlex site for those intereseted.

Do you mind, Jeremy?

Also, did you make most the changes to the Samples project or the Farseer Physics dll?  I understand you had to fix up the conditional compliation in the Farseer Physics dll were any of your other changes made to the core engine?
May 13, 2008 at 6:17 PM
I'm not sure if the changes affected the core dll or just the samples. I believe it did affect the core dll with regards to the #if switches and the use of the fake Vector2, etc.. stuff you use for the silverlight version. You can post the one I sent, but I won't have time to do a more polished/tested version until after I get back home. Feel free to post what I got done so far so maybe if someone else has time right now they can finish from what I got started. Otherwise I'll look into it more after I get back.
Jun 13, 2008 at 10:15 PM
I know it has been a while, but crashlander could you please post the project Jeremy sent you, or JeroMiya could you just send the project directly to me.