Beat them up

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Feb 22, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to make a beat them up game like streets of rage or golden axe using farseer.

I was  thinking about doing two body for my character, one with physic(like a platformer game,), and an other for the check the depth collision.

But i got a lot of bugg, when come the jump. Like in castl crasher, when  a player jump, he can change the depth. 

Do you think 3d physics are the best,to make this kind of game?

I'm checking for any other solution, but i got no idea .

Someone can help me, pleaz !!!!

Developer
Feb 22, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I guess as long as you don't change the size of objects (i.e. make them smaller or larger when their depth changes) using Farseer should be no problem. I would setup everything as you would in any "normal" 2d platformer and just use one body per object. Just store a depth value alongside each object e.g. in the bodies or fixtures userdata and on each collision compare the depth values before doing anything else. If they are not within a certain range cancel the collision.

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Thanks. I will try it.

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:51 PM

I am doing this same thing in my game, except I use CollisionCategories. I think they are easier than Elsch's idea.

Theres a sample in the testbed. All you have to do is make it so only objects in the same layer collide.