Is Farseer for my project?

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Mar 28, 2008 at 1:36 PM
Edited Mar 28, 2008 at 1:57 PM
I'm developing an sidescrolling game in XNA and is on the hunt for a physics engine to calculate gravity, collisions, rotation, direction etc. The movable objects is created in 3DS Max, same goes for the map they move in. A full 3D world so to speak, but movement of objects (and collisions) will just take place (be calculated) in the X and Y direction.

Would the Farseer physics engine be the right path for this project?

Is there an easy way to create an collision mesh from an 3D model somehow (f.ex. importing vertices from 3D model where Z=0 or similar)?
Mar 28, 2008 at 4:39 PM
Yes it would work for a game like this.

Not sure on the best way to figure out what Geom vertices to use given you meshes..
Mar 28, 2008 at 5:18 PM
Nice. Should be up and running pretty fast it seems. I'll give it a go :) Thanks for the swift response.

If anyone got a solution or hint on how to create geom vertices from model meshes I'd be glad to hear about it.
Mar 28, 2008 at 5:29 PM
my first thought would be to do an ortho projection onto a 2d plane and get the points that make up the edge of the projected shape (hand wavying)
Mar 29, 2008 at 12:21 PM
I created an separate model consisting of an polyline (same form as the original object) and then imported the X/Y-vectors into XNA. Dunno if it's the best way of solving the problem, but alas, it was quickly done anyways.