New to Farseer.

Topics: Developer Forum
Mar 22, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Hello everyone, I have been using XNA for a while now and I thought I would try out the Farseer engine for a 2D project. The game project is a 2D platform game with a massive map for the level and is made up of slopes, flat edges and fairly bumpy like platforms (in a way, similar to Sonic the Hedgehog). I have included the files into my VS project, but would like to ask for some help/pointers as to how to setup collision for the environment.

Thanks in advance!

Jamie.

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:13 PM

I've made some progress.

For the terrain, I used the create shape from image method and have created a world etc etc and the tile image draws. I have also added a player body object although am unsure of what to do next...

Can someone point me in the right direction ? I need to make the player body onbject 'fall' onto the tile image?

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Congrats!  Sounds like you're getting your hands dirty with XNA and Farseer.  To answer your question, it's really up to you at this point.  One of the things I do is try to define the core gameplay of whatever project I'm working on or plan to work on.  Once that's down, start making a list of features you think you will need to get your game to a playable state.  Once you have those features down, break it down some more by planning out the steps needed to make those features happen.  After all those features are define, prioritize them.  The worst thing you can do is to go into a game blindly.  You need to keep things focused and as long as you have that laundry list, that should help you keep your focus.  It's also a great way to keep you motivated as you see those tasks checked off one by one as you make progress.

So far, this place has been great as there are more people to answer your questions.  I've only been here about a week or so and I've already had many questions answered and advice given to me.  Good luck!

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:07 AM
Edited Mar 23, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Yeah still getting my hands dirty. All i've got so far is two body objects, one static and one dynamic who just sit there and do nothing lol. I can't find any update function or anything so what is it that actually makes it work?

The game we are making is fully planned and designed, the terrain consists of slopes, bumpy surfaces and multiple platforms.

EDIT: I found the step function! Now the player body has begun to fall like he should, just need to now figure out how to make him fall onto the block :)