Expanding sphere

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Apr 3, 2008 at 10:26 PM
Is there any way to have an expanding sphere? I noticed there's no way of scaling geometry. Any suggestions?
Apr 4, 2008 at 8:39 AM
this would be cool... i'd love to have a boss that constantly inflates... upping the difficulty of the battle.. super mario world 2 deja vu
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2008 at 12:20 PM
No, you can't dynamically scale a geom... you'd need to use multiple geoms of increasing size or something.
Apr 9, 2008 at 3:27 PM
For my own purposes, I modified the farseer code to allow alternate bounding volumes - for example, I allow some geometry to be defined as a "sphere" which means it has a radius along with the position. This allows you to avoid the distant-grids and have fast collision detection and contact point determination. It would also probably would allow dynamical expansion as all you would really need to do is change the radius (though, expanding the radius and causing a collision as a result may require special code).

Going this route, however, would probably involve a commitment of using alternate bounding volumes (spheres, boxes, etc) for nearly everything.