Cool Perf Enhancements for next version of WP7

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:22 AM

This was announced to day at Mix11.  Should give a nice boost to Farseer Physics Engine on the phone.

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:31 AM

That is awesome. I wonder if they have exposed the SIMD functionality outside of the compiler.

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:13 PM

In mango, it's currently exposed only through the Xna types, Vector2, Vector3, Matrix, etc..; but Farseer already benefits greatly from the 64-bit neon instructions emitted for Vector2 methods.

However that being said, I've mentioned some additional suggestions for general case .Net SIMD intrinsics at the bottom of that post (I'm SleepyDaddySoft). This, along with struct method inlining during JIT (if its not already there), would allow arbitrary structs/algorithms to participate in SIMD optimization at the same level as the Xna types as well as open up all of the NEON instruction set for use, not just the floating point instructions.

Please comment there if you agree with my suggestions, or send a tweet to @abhinaba directly! It was OUR community feedback to the .Net CF team (and Mr abhinaba in particular) that lead to the current Simd optimizations, limited as they are! Make sure to mention that you'd like these Simd optimizations ported to .Net CF for XBox, Silverlight, and for the windows CLR too, since windows phone's .net CF is currently the only .Net runtime simd support available.