Body Mass, weight in kilos?

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I'm creating a simple car race game where i need to build a car with different properties like weight, torque, acceleration and so on.

How am i setting a Mass on a body like if it was Kilos? if i want to have a body weight 1000 kilo?

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Hello? :)

Apr 24, 2011 at 1:29 AM

mass = density X volume

density = mass/volume

So, since FS uses density, take your desnity and divide by the volume of your body.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Hmm, if i set my body mass to like 1300 (like in 1300 kilograms) which is about the normal weight of a car, in the Demo project found under downloads, the car becomes to heavy it falls through the ground and the springs collapses?

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Farseer is tuned to work in certain ranges... I don't know about a particular one for density / mass... but 1000 is way to heavy. Try to stay within 10-100. You don't have to make a correct model of the real world, just try to find a reasonable scale for your game. If all your objects are heavy just take like one mass unit per 100 kg. You should only have problems if your objects vary extremely in size / mass.

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Scale is a good solution. What i would like to do is have a base car and be able to tune it by buying tuning parts for the engine which will provide more torque, less weight and better grib to get a faster car. So the weights has to be realistic. 

So would it work if a base car has the weight of 1300 KG, and my overall scale is 20, so 1300 / 20 = 65 in mass. 

What i would do is to create the some of the parts as individual bodies with mass and attach to the car to simulate the weight of the engine in the front or back of the car, weight of the weels, clutch and so on.

Is that even possible?