Diver Alpha Release 1 Now Playable

Coordinator
Apr 25, 2008 at 11:44 AM
I just released an alpha version of the Silverlight game I've been working on. I'm interested in having people try it out and give feedback.

It has a bit of a learning curve due the the control mechanic it uses but with practice it is quite fun... or so I think.

Here is the link: http://www.farseergames.com/Diver/DiverPlay.aspx
Apr 25, 2008 at 4:13 PM
Edited Apr 25, 2008 at 4:13 PM
I like it. I can't make a long horizontal jump to save my life, but it seems to be coming along. The only thing that bothered me was the tendency for the dude to fall over immediately after a reset as I move my mouse back to the center.
Coordinator
Apr 25, 2008 at 5:23 PM
center you mouse before clicking to reset.
Apr 25, 2008 at 9:59 PM
Nice. I have a couple of suggestions:

I agree with wmfwlr that he falls over too easily on reset. Maybe you could damp the effects of the mouse position to a higher degree until his position stabilizes?

I also think it is just too hard! I struggled with it for about a half an hour today, and I was only able to successfully complete a jump maybe 5 times. I found that starting the backflip loop a bit left of center instead of bottom center helped give a little extra push, and oddly, it seemed that the medium jumps were easier than the shorter jumps. I have no idea why this might be.

Overall, looks great!
Apr 26, 2008 at 3:54 PM
Looks very slick, it took me a while just to grasp even the basics of jumping though, good thing you had those tutorial dives.
Apr 27, 2008 at 7:17 AM
I finally got the change to go and try it out. Too bad I can't...

I'm consistantly getting the following error message as soon as I load the control: (I just installed Silverlight literally 5 seconds before loading, so I should have the latest version.)
Silverlight error message
ErrorCode: 5014
ErrorType: ParserError
XamlFile: DiverGame.xap
Line: 1
Position: 3
Coordinator
Apr 28, 2008 at 1:52 AM
@yota: did you restart your browser?

@michael_brooks11 and wmfwlr. If you click just below the center of the screen he should balance. I'll probably do some work in the interface to make it more user friendly. You can do long horizontal jumps by hitting the end of the diving board.

And Yeah, it is very difficult. Most people have been saying that. I think it's only difficult getting started. Once you've played a while it really isn't too bad. (except for the level with two diving boards. :-))

I will add some better tutorials to the final version with some actual game play-back recordings to show the various techniques of diving.

Thanks for the feedback.

Apr 30, 2008 at 5:20 AM
Minor, rare, issue found: Sometimes if you land on the diving board just right, you will dip into the water for a second (splashes) and then fly out and land in the water again somewhere else. The issue is that there is only a splash the first time you enter the water. Not a big deal, but the game would be a bit more polished if this were fixed.
Apr 30, 2008 at 4:37 PM
Hey. I went into the water under the right diving board on the last level, but somehow didn't die. I could still jump out of the water, just not enough to free myself. It was pretty fun, actually. Sadly, I haven't been able to reproduce it.
Coordinator
Apr 30, 2008 at 5:37 PM
@wmfwlr: Currently, you never "die" you just float in the water. You can still move you guy but it doen't do you much good. Or did I mis-understand what you meant?

@michael: I'll make a not of that. I'm suprised the score screen didn't come up the first time you hit the water.
Apr 30, 2008 at 9:11 PM
Yeah, that's true. I guess the issue was that the score screen didn't trigger, so I was free to bounce around.
Apr 30, 2008 at 10:35 PM
Actually, the score screen did trigger in response to the first time I touched the water, but there was, of course, a small delay, and at some point after the first splash, I hit the water again. I am just suggesting that the splash effect should happen whenever you hit the water, not just the first time.