Air Resistance Damping

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
May 9, 2008 at 1:26 PM
Is there a way to set some level of air resistance damping?

Im trying to do a weird special effect where items travelling slow down because of a thicker atmosphere.
May 9, 2008 at 3:59 PM
All bodies have a LinearDragCoeffecient property. With drag, objects decellerate at a rate proportional to their current velocity. This property determines how effective that drag is, and should work for what you described.

I was working on a controller to simulate aerodynamics, and make things like airplane wings, but I kinda forgot about it.... I'll see if I can get back to it. I can't gaurentee I'll be able to finish it, as I have so little time.
May 12, 2008 at 3:20 AM
Just an idea, but maybe you can try to calculate horizontal and vertical drag forces separately, and make them proportional to both the respective component velocity and the respective component width of the AABB. It would be a rough estimation at best but it might produce interesting behavior.
May 13, 2008 at 12:37 PM
My "FluidDragController" (in the Controllers namespace) is a more advanced 'drag' model.  It could be used for air drag I believe. It takes into account the cross-sectional area in the direction of motion.