High-speed collisions?

Topics: User Forum
Dec 5, 2006 at 12:59 PM

I love your physics engine, i hope you dont mind but we are using it for our university project at the moment. I have one question however. At high speed objects tend to pass through each other. What would be the best way to go about stopping this action?

1) have the speeding object check its collision a number of times in incremental fashion
2) use ray-collision detection system based on the speeding object velocity and the polygons

I have a system setup already where i can detect ray intersections with the phyics objects but i have no way to resolve the collision after on has been detected.

would like your thoughts on this
Dec 5, 2006 at 4:51 PM
Unfortunately, this is a known issue with the engine. I have not yet had the time to give it too much thought. If I was using Seperating Axis, the solution would be a little more obvious (swept polygons..I think)

However, I'm using distance grids so I will need to think up something else.

Right now, all I can suggest is to decrease the time step of the simulation and/or make your objects thicker. Not a good answer but it's all I've got at the moment.
Dec 8, 2006 at 10:49 AM
:) no worries ill just find a way around it. probably try the timestep thing, if that fails ill either limit objects velocity or ill attempt some ray intersection method.