Documentation/Wiki

Topics: User Forum
Jun 27, 2008 at 10:17 PM
Hey,

i know this discussion exist but just to ask again:  Is there a documentation? Or even something in work?

and if not:

why not create a wiki and let the community help...

Nergal
Jun 28, 2008 at 11:44 AM
I believe that the guy over at www.ParadeOfRain.com is making an API for the BlitzMax version of it, but ive heard nothing of it for any other language... And if anyone knows how to make a wiki, Should
Jun 28, 2008 at 1:37 PM
I think i could set up a wiki......   I'll try...
The Problem is, that I'm not able to fill it, as I'm a noob concerning Farseer.

Also I want to ask crashlander if its okay if I put up a wiki....

Is anybody out there to help filling the wiki?

Nergal
Jun 28, 2008 at 4:10 PM
Ill help fill it with a few BlitzMax things, Ill tell everything i know... Which isnt much lmao

Also, what are you going to use? MediaWiki is the best but you have to host it yourself from your machine, its what they used to make Wikipedia so ts the best choice... You have to install about 3-4 things though

Its here... www.mediawiki.org/
Jun 28, 2008 at 5:48 PM
if found it already.... nevertheless thanks.

i tried to install it on a free webspace wich supports PHP&MySQL but it would not run. now i choose  this one: http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:dokuwiki.

Already up and running at www.farseer.de.vu.

it supports all the cool things like codesnippets with syntax highlighting and so on.

but i'm still waiting for the okay of Jeff Weber alias crashlander.....

i'm going to work on it this evening. if possible....

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:25 PM
Ill help work on it...

I notice that you used an external site to change the domain name... Just so everyone knows, to add a new page you have to put in http://nerg4l.ne.funpic.de/doku.php/name with name being the name of the page you want to add because this is the actual site... www.farseer.de.vu is just to get to the front page without having to type a handfull of weird words (http://nerg4l.ne.funpic.de/doku.php/start is the actual homepage)
Jun 28, 2008 at 7:31 PM
Yes, i actually made this to make it a little bit nicer.....
you can also use http://nerg4l.funpic.de/doku.php/name (without the ne).

as you can see with the domains i'm german so excuse if i spell wrong or write a little odd. especially in the wiki just change it ^^

hopefully this will get really useful.

Jun 28, 2008 at 7:36 PM
Ive added a tutorials section with one tutorial for the Blitzmax version, the two other parts you have made could be used to show games currently made and information like who made it and where to get it from :)
Jun 28, 2008 at 9:22 PM
has anybody seen the quickstartsample for xna in the downloads lately??

can't find it.....

please point me to it
Jun 28, 2008 at 9:31 PM
Doesnt it come with the Engine Download? The BlitzMax one does
Jun 28, 2008 at 9:43 PM
wasn't in my download i think.... searched the whole folder.....

where do you find it in blitzmax?
Jun 28, 2008 at 10:46 PM
It might not have a quickstart... all versions made by different people, but mine was the one of the first things you see as you open the folder
Coordinator
Jun 30, 2008 at 2:49 AM
Hey all,

I think a Wiki is a great idea. As some of you may have noticed from my absesnse from these forums, I'm pretty tied up with other things so I'm afraid I won't be able to help much with content.  I'll try to keep my eye on it and help when/where I can.

Thanks to all who take the time to contribute to this.

-Jeff
Jul 5, 2008 at 1:46 PM
Thanks for making the post on your Blog Jeff... We still need more help with it though, A tutorial or even just a small amount of information in the 2 other sections could help
Developer
Jul 10, 2008 at 10:49 AM
Great idea nerg4l, but somehow I really don't like the idea of hosting the wiki on a free space.
Maybe Jeff could install a real wiki at his space and we would help to fill it with info?

I'd prefer that a lot. - Sorry if I sound invidious, I don't mean to.
Jul 10, 2008 at 12:41 PM

sickbattery wrote:
Great idea nerg4l, but somehow I really don't like the idea of hosting the wiki on a free space.
Maybe Jeff could install a real wiki at his space and we would help to fill it with info?

I'd prefer that a lot. - Sorry if I sound invidious, I don't mean to.

I hosted it in a free webspace, because i have no other available...
if jeff would make one in his payed one i'm fine with it. perhaps we could use media wiki then.
For me, too, it's the prefered solution.

@Jeff:  If you could give me some login-data for your webspace i could set it up....
Jul 11, 2008 at 6:58 PM
Perhaps Jeff could just add a link to his front page? Although, hosting on his website would help a bit
Coordinator
Jul 13, 2008 at 3:23 AM
I can look into adding a wiki to FarseerGames.com... What is  a good free wiki?  MediaWiki is the first I came accross.
Jul 13, 2008 at 8:57 AM
If you could do that it would be really nice.

MediaWiki is imo the best one out there. I used dokuwiki as mediawiki didn't run on my free webspace.

For mediawiki you  need PHP & MySQL. Dokuwiki only needs PHP.

I recommend MdiaWiki. ( It's the one used at wikipedia)
Developer
Jul 13, 2008 at 10:45 AM
Edited Jul 13, 2008 at 10:50 AM

nerg4l wrote:

@Jeff:  If you could give me some login-data for your webspace i could set it up....

That's something you don't ask for ...
Jul 13, 2008 at 1:36 PM
Yes your are right....

But he said that he has not much time so I wanted to offer some help. And I don't want the possibility to change something on his blog or so... I thought of a seperate space for the wiki....

Sorry if this was missunderstood....
Coordinator
Jul 15, 2008 at 2:51 AM
I am quite busy and I am quite trusting, but I'd rather not give out my website info. I'll see if I can get the wiki up some time soon... 

-Jeff