Body Searching Functionality

Jul 18, 2008 at 10:20 PM
Edited Jul 18, 2008 at 10:22 PM
I am trying to figure out the best way to implement some body searching functionality; the methods of searching I would like to implement would be line, point, rectangle, etc.. The main focus of my question was to figure out if there was already something in place or if I needed to do this myself; the primary purpose of these would be for line of site issues.

One quick way I can think of implementing this would be to simply make a searcher class for each search shape I would like to use which created geometry in the shape of the search area and then used the Collision hook to find what shapes it collided with and add them to a list; this just seems very clunky to me.
Jul 19, 2008 at 1:30 PM
What do you mean by searching function? Do you mean like in paint programs you would use a selection box to select parts of the image?
Jul 19, 2008 at 5:28 PM
I think i made it fairly clear; let me try explaining it another way. What I want to do is find a quick way to find bodies in a given search circle, rectangle, line, or point for using all the exisiting collision information in such system as radius damage searches etc...
Jul 19, 2008 at 7:02 PM
Hmmmm... I dunno then lol, I guess your way would be the easiest to implement