[Solved] Car Collision Help.

Topics: User Forum
Mar 11, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Hello i need help with collision for top down 2D cars.

My problem is that i need the cars to somewhat bounce off the other when they collide not exactly like a ball. I have messed with the resitution for a bit and i get it to where the collisions look good but if i collide with multiple cars everything starts bouncing around.

Is there another way to do this type of collision?

Thanks for any advice.
Mar 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM
You could try adding a Collision handler and then decreasing the Restitution with each collision (or just a big drop in restitution after the initial collision). This might give you the initial collision behavior you like while reducing "bouncing around". If the initial collisions look good, but then bounce around with multiple cars, you'll have to have different behavior for the initial collision versus subsequent collisions -- even if you applied impulses instead of using the restitution I think you'd still have the same bouncing-around problem. I think the way to approach it is going to be to change the behavior after the initial collision.

Hope that helps,
Mike.
Mar 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Thanks for the help.

what i ended up doing was decreasing the cars speed while colliding it looks better and works better.

i might do something with that bounce idea u gave me with something else

Thanks again.