getting xna simple sample to deploy on 360

Topics: User Forum
Jan 28, 2009 at 5:32 AM
i cant seem to convert the xna project to 360
i was wondering if anyone could help me
i get these errors

<o:p>

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Csc.exe /noconfig /nowarn:1701,1702 /nostdlib+ /platform:x86 /errorreport:prompt /warn:4 /define:DEBUG;TRACE;XBOX;XBOX360 /reference:"C:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\2d physics\FarseerPhysics2.0.1SimpleSamplesForXNA\FarseerPhysics2.0.1OnlyForXNA\bin\Xbox 360\Debug\FarseerProject.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v3.0\References\Xbox360\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v3.0\References\Xbox360\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v3.0\References\Xbox360\mscorlib.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v3.0\References\Xbox360\System.dll" /debug+ /debug:full /optimize- /out:"obj\Xbox 360\Debug\GettingStarted.exe" /resource:"obj\Xbox 360\Debug\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.RuntimeProfile.txt",Microsoft.Xna.Framework.RuntimeProfile /target:winexe /win32icon:Game.ico Components\FramerateCounterComponent.cs Demos\Demo1\Demo1Screen.cs Demos\Demo2\Demo2Screen.cs Demos\Demo3\Demo3Screen.cs Demos\Demo4\Demo4Screen.cs Demos\Demo4\Floor.cs Demos\Demo4\Pyramid.cs Demos\Demo5\Demo5Screen.cs Demos\Demo6\Demo6Screen.cs Demos\Demo7\Demo7Screen.cs Demos\Demo8\Demo8Screen.cs Demos\DemoShare\Agent.cs Demos\DemoShare\AngularSpringLever.cs Demos\DemoShare\Border.cs Demos\DemoShare\Circles.cs Demos\DemoShare\RectanglePlatform.cs Demos\DemoShare\Spider.cs Demos\DemoShare\SpringRectangleRope.cs DrawingSystem\CircleBrush.cs DrawingSystem\DrawingHelper.cs DrawingSystem\LineBrush.cs DrawingSystem\RectangleBrush.cs FarseerPhysicsGame.cs PhysicsSimulatorView.cs Properties\AssemblyInfo.cs Program.cs ScreenSystem\GameScreen.cs ScreenSystem\InputState.cs ScreenSystem\LogoScreen.cs ScreenSystem\MainMenuScreen.cs ScreenSystem\MenuScreen.cs ScreenSystem\PauseScreen.cs ScreenSystem\ScreenManager.cs ScreenSystem\SpriteFonts.cs<o:p></o:p>

C:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\2d physics\FarseerPhysics2.0.1SimpleSamplesForXNA\SimpleSamplesXNA\DrawingSystem\LineBrush.cs(10,17): error CS0104: 'Vector2' is an ambiguous reference between 'FarseerGames.FarseerPhysics.Mathematics.Vector2' and 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Vector2'<o:p></o:p>

c:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\2d physics\FarseerPhysics2.0.1SimpleSamplesForXNA\FarseerPhysics2.0.1OnlyForXNA\bin\Xbox 360\Debug\FarseerProject.dll: (Related file)<o:p></o:p>

c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v3.0\References\Xbox360\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll: (Related file)<o:p></o:p>

C:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\2d physics\FarseerPhysics2.0.1SimpleSamplesForXNA\SimpleSamplesXNA\DrawingSystem\LineBrush.cs(13,17): error CS0104: 'Vector2' is an ambiguous reference between 'FarseerGames.FarseerPhysics.Mathematics.Vector2' and 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Vector2'<o:p></o:p>

c:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\2d physics\FarseerPhysics2.0.1SimpleSamplesForXNA\FarseerPhysics2.0.1OnlyForXNA\bin\Xbox 360\Debug\FarseerProject.dll: (Related file)<o:p></o:p>

c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v3.0\References\Xbox360\Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll: (Related file)<o:p></o:p>

C:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\2d physics\FarseerPhysics2.0.1SimpleSamplesForXNA\SimpleSamplesXNA\DrawingSystem\LineBrush.cs(14,17): error CS0104: 'Vector2' is an ambiguous reference between 'FarseerGames.FarseerPhysics.Mathematics.Vector2' and 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Vector2'<o:p></o:p>

C:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\2d physics\FarseerPhysics2.0.1SimpleSamplesForXNA\SimpleSamplesXNA\DrawingSystem\LineBrush.cs(16,17): error CS0104: 'Vector2' is an ambiguous reference between 'FarseerGames.FarseerPhysics.Mathematics.Vector2' and 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Vector2'<o:p></o:p>

C:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\2d physics\FarseerPhysics2.0.1SimpleSamplesForXNA\SimpleSamplesXNA\DrawingSystem\LineBrush.cs(19,17): error CS0104: 'Vector2' is an ambiguous reference between 'FarseerGames.FarseerPhysics.Mathematics.Vector2' and 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Vector2'<o:p></o:p>

C:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\2d physics\FarseerPhysics2.0.1SimpleSamplesForXNA\SimpleSamplesXNA\DrawingSystem\LineBrush.cs(55,51): error CS0104: 'Vector2' is an ambiguous reference between 'FarseerGames.FarseerPhysics.Mathematics.Vector2' and 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Vector2'<o:p></o:p>

C:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\2d physics\FarseerPhysics2.0.1SimpleSamplesForXNA\SimpleSamplesXNA\DrawingSystem\LineBrush.cs(55,71): error CS0104: 'Vector2' is an ambiguous reference between 'FarseerGames.FarseerPhysics.Mathematics.Vector2' and 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Vector2'<o:p></o:p>

C:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\2d physics\FarseerPhysics2.0.1SimpleSamplesForXNA\SimpleSamplesXNA\DrawingSystem\LineBrush.cs(64,40): error CS0104: 'Vector2' is an ambiguous reference between 'FarseerGames.FarseerPhysics.Mathematics.Vector2' and 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Vector2'<o:p></o:p>

C:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\2d physics\FarseerPhysics2.0.1SimpleSamplesForXNA\SimpleSamplesXNA\DrawingSystem\LineBrush.cs(77,37): error CS0104: 'Vector2' is an ambiguous reference between 'FarseerGames.FarseerPhysics.Mathematics.Vector2' and 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Vector2'<o:p></o:p>

C:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\2d physics\FarseerPhysics2.0.1SimpleSamplesForXNA\SimpleSamplesXNA\Properties\AssemblyInfo.cs(41,12): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'AssemblyFileVersion' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)<o:p></o:p>

C:\Users\Daniel\Desktop\2d physics\FarseerPhysics2.0.1SimpleSamplesForXNA\SimpleSamplesXNA\Properties\AssemblyInfo.cs(41,12): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'AssemblyFileVersionAttribute' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

</o:p>

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:19 AM
If I remember all steps correctly, this is what you need to do to get Farseer to run on xbox360:

-Convert the FarseerForXnaOnly to Xbox360 (The Win version can be removed after if not needed)
-Remove AssemblyFileVersion entry in Farseer's AssemblyInfo.cs
-Remove [Assembly: CLSCompliant] entry in Farseer's AssemblyInfo.cs
-Add    XBOX;XBOX360;XNA;xna;    to Farseer's Properties:Build:Conditional compilation symbols field
-Add a Reference to Farseer (xbox360) from your Project
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2009 at 7:42 AM
Thanks for the explanation Oakstar. I will write it down and remember to include it in the manual if necessary.
Jan 28, 2009 at 8:44 AM
hey thank you very much for your help i got it running with ease now a few questions thou if you guys wouldnt mind

when i run it on the 360 i get about 2 fps on almost all demos in debug and even in release i get 2 frames on the last demo (100 on all the rest) now i understand the 360 has less floating point power and all that that a good pc but i got 100 fps on my pc with 10 times more on the stress test (i changed a few things :) lol) by my stupid math thats a 500 fold power difference

is this just how it is or is there a bug in the demo or something else im not seeing???

thanks heaps again
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2009 at 4:50 PM
The Xbox 360 CPU is not that powerful and combined with a limited CLR (.net base) it can get painfully slow on Xbox 360.

I wrote an article some time ago. High Performance Game Development that you might find useful. It's not directed at the Xbox 360, but almost everything apply just as well to the Xbox.
Developer
Jan 29, 2009 at 12:50 AM
The Xbox is plenty powerful enough, it is just the way the CLR manages memory that slows it down. It has a 3 core 3.2 GHz PowerPC processor so it's not slow at all. There are a ton of things that can be done to speed up the performance of Farseer on the Xbox platform, only problem is most of them require fairly major rewrites of the internal workings. I am working on Farseer's performance issues, but at the current rate it will be quite some time before I am able to complete my improvements.
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2009 at 9:11 AM
Edited Jan 30, 2009 at 1:57 PM
Sorry, that's my fault. I have dual 4-core Xeon Harpertown clocked at 2.33 Ghz. I wanted to underline the CLR performance and not the CPU performance. Thanks for the correction Matt.
Jan 30, 2009 at 3:14 AM
ho--ly--cow... Really? thats an incredible amount of CPU power at your disposal! do you have a use for all of it? (an RTS game called Supreme Commander would be pretty good on those...)
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2009 at 2:05 PM
As you might have noticed, I just correct myself again. :) It's "only" dual quadcore 2.33 Ghz. I have 8 cores in total. I also have a replicate server (also dual quadcore Xeon, but at 2.66 Ghz) at my side, but it's not currently connected to my computer as assistance. (It's server hardware, they are built for a cluster)

Anyway, I have not tried Supreme Commander, great if it uses more than 1-2 cores as most of the games I tried. :) Only problem is that under high load (70-80% core usage) my coolingsystem kicks into level 6, it's an unberable noice.
Developer
Jan 30, 2009 at 10:57 PM
That's awesome Ian. I really want to get one of those new Intel iCore 7 setups. I am waiting for Apple to release a new system that uses it. I need the cross platform development ability. And they are super quiet!
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2009 at 12:36 AM
Edited Jan 31, 2009 at 12:36 AM
Yeah, the iCore 7 really set a new bar for high performance. Saw a setup similar to mine, but with 7's instead of Xeon 54xx. They were off the chart. I spend $1060 on my CPUs (1½ year ago), now I have to do it all over again.
Developer
Jan 31, 2009 at 1:26 AM
LOL- It's impossible to stay on the edge!
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2009 at 1:34 AM
Naah, This time I have a few tricks. I'm working with a guy that is constantly upgrading a server similar to mine. Hopefully I will get some of the old parts. He just replaced a dual port 1Gb netcard with a quad port 1Gb netcard, I only have 1x dual 1gb netcard right now and could use two :) I'm able to trunk them into a 4 Gb netcard and transfer data a lot faster over the network.

Anyway, they are expensive parts and they are hard to sell. (took me 3 months on ebay to sell 2x 1.53 Ghz quadcore Xeon) I hope I can buy them used this time, but I doubt I can get my hands on some used iCore 7's :D
Jan 31, 2009 at 5:29 AM
Edited Jan 31, 2009 at 5:30 AM
That's still a lot of computing power though. Supreme Commander sees most gain going from 1 to 2 cores, but it does get a pretty good boost running on 4 (and probably 8) cores. But you have to have a really good graphics card to run it, i have an nVidia 8800 gt-something and it can only run it at medium high settings on 1280 by 1024... Ok, we've gone waaaaaay off topic!