DrawingHelper Questions

Topics: Developer Forum
Mar 17, 2009 at 3:14 AM
I have two questions about the DrawingHelper class:
1. Who made it, and can i use it in my game (which is going on XBLCG)?
2. Is there a way to get around the (seeming) limit of not being able to make textures larger than the screen width/height?
Mar 17, 2009 at 4:29 PM
Edited Mar 17, 2009 at 4:49 PM
1. I'm not sure who originally made it. It might be Jeff himself that made it. Some users have also helped make it better by extending it's functionality. Ellipses were made by Marvin Killing (user on our forums) and I also tweaked it a little.
You are welcome to use it in your game. Instead of creating the textures every time you need them (or the game starts). You could create them and cache them for later use.

2. Large textures is bad. (Large spritesheets are good tho). They use a lot of memory (2000x2000 use about 40mb) and they take quite some time to create using the DrawingHelper. I'm not aware of any limitations on the size of textures the drawinghelper can produce. Where have you found thelimitations?
Mar 17, 2009 at 9:50 PM
Well the problem is when i go to create a large texture (like 3200x160) (i need it that big so that my textures dont look pixelated when i zoom in) i get an exception saying something like "parameter name is larger than allowed. Parameter: width" on the line that creates a new Texture2D. I know large textures is bad (and thats probably why my games a bit choppy) but i need them (look back), so is there a way around this?