Physics going crazy

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Mar 17, 2009 at 11:06 AM
Edited Mar 17, 2009 at 11:08 AM
Ok as some of you may know i ported over to a new project recently, and before that all the collisions were doing fine. Now, when objects collide, they act like they will act unusually (interpenetration, won't rest properly on a surface, go flying off in random directions when they hit with any significant speed).  i don't understand why this is can somebody help?
Mar 18, 2009 at 7:24 AM
Anyone?
Developer
Mar 19, 2009 at 2:08 AM
Are you using the source or the release? Right now the source code could be riddled with crazy bugs as we (me and Ian) try to add all these new features to the engine. I know we just uploaded some new narrow phase code that's definitely not working right now.
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2009 at 2:49 AM
If you use too high (and in some cases, too low) values in mass and the like, the engine tends to blow up. It all looks good, but when collisions start to happen, things go crazy. Try to use some normal values. If you get an exception, it would be great if you could pinpoint where it happens and tell us.
Mar 19, 2009 at 3:12 AM
Edited Mar 19, 2009 at 3:47 AM
No exceptions, and i don't think im using too high/low values (just maybe 0.5 to 2?). And i am using the 2.0 release. I'll tinker around with some settings soon here and report what happens.
Update: it seems that after setting max contacts to detect to 10 (but i dont think this helped) and maximum allowed interpenetration to 0.01, it fixed it (things are a bit bouncy, but i think i have the restitution coefficient set too high)