Map Creation

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:17 AM
Ive been trying to figure this out for a long time and im quite stuck,
at first i made map thern divided it into sections, each of which i got data for made bodies and geoms then loaded them in order.
My problem is the collision detection was terrible, each pieces image height and width were the same size as my screen,
i subdivide the edges alot and it made no difference.
I would prefer to do it this way as it allows complex levels and what not, but i think its not realistic anymore.

This brings me to the other option, or so i think,
i use tiles to make my level,
but there are many problems here aside from the creative limitations,
1. I have no clue how i would create the map, there are level creators but i dont know how i would incorparate bodies and geometries into each tile so they could actually interact with the character.
2. Ive only seen these creators for top downs which makes me unsure if they could be used for side scrolling/platformer.
3. Would xna be able to recognize each piece as being seperate, or would they treat it as one huge piece.

I know this is just another question that must be so simple, and you guys will have to baby me until i realise the most simple concept, but i am truly stumped.
Mar 22, 2009 at 2:27 AM
Well im not sure how to do that but you might want to check out a game (demo sort of) here (http://farseerphysics.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=49368 the link button is broke since they upgraded codeplex). You could try asking Shpaidaman how he did his (it makes heavy use of tiles for the levels).