Flip a model horizontally

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Mar 31, 2009 at 11:36 PM
Hi there, first of all, let me say that I love Farseer so far. Thanks for this engine :)

Now, the question :P
I have an object, or a model which consists of several bodies and joints. It is a ragdoll model in fact. The thing is that, my ragdoll looks to the right, which is ok, but I also want to make it look to the left (for making it "walk" to the other side). I guess I can invert every body, every angle joint value and every texture manually, but I suspect that it could mess everything up.
So my question is, does anyone know an "easy" way to flip the model horizontally? (mirror the model) Does anyone have a better suggestion?
Thanks in advance!
Apr 1, 2009 at 10:40 AM
i our game we have several "hit areas" attached to our player (punch zone left, punch zone right aso.). when the character turns left, the zones on the right are disabled while the left are enabled. i don't know if this applies to your game too, but maybe you can somehow mirror all the joints to the left.
Apr 1, 2009 at 10:44 AM
I'm curious yobiv; what kind of game are you making?
Apr 1, 2009 at 10:51 AM
@yobiv
Yes I thought on mirroring the joints to the left, but I'm not sure how the model will react when the limbs will move all of the sudden to the opposite side after the joint's angles are changed.
Apr 1, 2009 at 12:06 PM
Edited Apr 1, 2009 at 12:30 PM
a 2D beat'em'up with 3D graphics similar to Super Smash Brothers
we'll upload a demo hopefully soon when we done refactoring and implementing the new SAT

is it possible to calculate the joints and limbs for the other side all along but just have them invisible and make them visible again when you switch sides.
Apr 1, 2009 at 12:11 PM
Well another option I was thinking on, similar to your suggestion was to load the whole model (bodies and joints) looking to the other side, and make it visible (and enable collisions) when turning left.