Springs

May 13, 2009 at 2:02 AM

I have a really quick  question... I am creating a linear spring, and i need to know good values for the spring constant and spring damping (i have no idea what they are).

Just fro some background info, im making a spring that goes from the mouse to the object that was clicked on, if that helps with those values at all.

Coordinator
May 13, 2009 at 2:21 AM

Spring constant - This is the amount of force applied to the object that the spring is attached to. More specific, this value is multiplied by the length of the spring. That means, the more length the spring has and the larger amount of spring constant, the more force is applied to the spring attachment point.

Imagine a distance between two points. This distance takes 10 seconds to cover if you have a spring distance of 1. If you change the spring distance to 2, it will cover the distance in less time.

Spring damping - This is the damping on the spring. It is sort of the counter-reacting force to the spring constant.

Again, imagine the two points. If it takes 10 seconds to cover the distance with a spring damping of 1, it will take longer with a spring damping of 2.

The total force applied to the spring attachment point is spring constant + damping.
As for the values for dragging objects. The samples use 100 for spring constant and 50 for damping. Find the right values by experimenting a little. :)

May 13, 2009 at 6:36 PM

ok, thank you for clearing that up for me, i tried looking in the samples, but didn't find it until after i read this. Thanks again!