Thank You All + Farseer Future + New Sample Stuff

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
May 27, 2009 at 9:37 AM
Edited May 27, 2009 at 9:40 AM

First of all as a user of farseer I would like to thank genbox and matt for all their great work on making farseer so amazing and great to use
I also think that the community should be thanked for all their generous help and encouragement both to each other and to the developers it is rare to see such a great and kind community

I was wondering a bit more about the future of farseer and was wondering what you guys thought of these ideas to add

- Limits and motors.
- Add "no rotation" option to bodies.
- Pulley joints.
- Some way of simulating stickiness.

- Car/Vehicle example.
- Sensors example.
- Buoyancy example. (Kind of like the water sample but without the waves)

I wish I could contribute something of value to the project I will clean up the Xml Serialization example me and my friend made and send that in to genbox or matt
(it saves body’s and geom's along with some custom data into 1 xml file that can be loaded by the pc or 360 way faster than they can be created in engine[from what I’ve experienced])

anyway great work everyone and if anyone else has any ideas post them up

Also I could make a car sample if you think that would work well as a sample? (genbox/matt)

May 27, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Thanks alot for the kind words. It's always great to hear feedback from our users; especially when it's positive ;) We have a great community indeed. Fast response from our users with high quality content is the best we could ask for.

We are evaluating the future of Farseer Physics Engine at the moment. We have big plans to included a lot of features that will make physics in both robotics, science applications and games possible. We think that we still have an easy to use engine and we would like to keep it that way. There are still a lot of areas that can be improved - anything from documentation to features; but it will all come in time.

Your list of features are only a fraction of the features we have been looking at. We are mainly focused on the performance of the engine (collision detection system), and our second prioity is getting more features into the physics engine (such as motors, more joints and the like).
One thing that surprised me was "some way of simulating stickiness" - It has actually never crossed my mind that someone would want that in a physics engine. I think it's already possible using the pin joint (It breaks on purpose when enough force is applied to it) and in 2.1, you will also have the Weld joint to help creating stickiness. Let me know if you have more on this feature and perhaps we can make it easier to utilize this kind of feature.

As for the samples. I already have the sensor sample on my todo list. The car sample would be a great contribution and I'll see what we can do, to make a simple version of the buoyancy sample (to include in Simple samples)

May 27, 2009 at 1:51 PM
Edited May 27, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Thanks for the quick response (one of the things I love about these forums)

These things above were just a few things that crossed my mind that could have made my learning of farseer easier (with the samples) or would allow me to do some other things that I have been trying to do.
I understand that there is a lot more going on especially in the performance department,  I left this out because I think you already know of my desire for better 360 performance (and pc) and because I know you are working hard on it.

As for simulating stickiness maybe it’s a silly thing to want. I don’t know too much about physics other than general physics stuff learnt at school + some other stuff I have learnt over the years (surface tension, the 2 kinds of friction, air resistance, waves, particles etc…

I primarily make small indie games, and in my head a way of setting “stickiness” or making something sticky just sounded right ;) now I’ve been trying to think of the best way to do this, the first thought that crossed my mind was do a AABB check (since I haven’t looked into sensors yet) to find out what’s near my circle/box/blob (maybe with fake softbody using springs) and then basically attract towards the object based on how far apart they are.

I.e. Closer = more attraction. Now I thought that this would allow me to say move my blob around and when I jump and hit a wall kind of stick and ride up it a bit (perhaps even ride up the wall and still stick on the roof) then when I press jump again I would jump perpendicular to the wall. I don’t know how I would do this with weld joints but if you could elaborate I might give it a try.

I might make a nice car sample (one with just 2 wheels and a body) showing friction how to rotate body’s etc… and maybe one that has suspension supporting the cars wheels.

oh I did play with the weld joints a bit and I made a small castle to tear down out of them and it actually worked quite well if a little slow but they are still very cool.

Wow this is a big post. (Edit: It looked bigger in word where i typed it)
Thanks for your replies genbox too you always seem to give me a great response

May 27, 2009 at 2:04 PM

The stickiness depends on the game. If your character jumps onto a wall and stick, you could simply create a pinjoint between the two. If you want real stickiness that slowly slips (think a ball of goo sticking to the wall) - you could attach the center of the ball to the edge of the wall, and slowly move the wall attachment point down. The ball would then roll on the wall - simulating it slowly slipping.

I can imagine doing this (stickiness) with fake soft bodies would look really great, but controlling a fake soft body is hard to control because of it's spunginess and kaotic behavoir. Give it a try if you feel like it :)

As for the car example. It would be really great to have a car (that looks like a car ;) ) roll down and up hill - and over a ropebridge perhaps? I remember Matt talking about suspension for a tank. You might want to have a look at that, but then again, it might be too advanced for a simple sample. (fun nevertheless)

May 27, 2009 at 2:22 PM
Edited May 27, 2009 at 2:25 PM

I was thinking of something like this

With just left and right for the controls and the screen would follow the car

And perhaps a just the rope bridge and car by it self for the one without suspension?

Edit: Or if you think it should be any other way just give me an idea

May 27, 2009 at 3:11 PM

It seems nice. Just make it as simple as possible :) - By the way, you could draw the car with the new polygon brush made by Matt.