CollisionCategories...

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:55 AM

i have a system implemented where when a player is killed, a corpse is created in it's place so that the player can respawn while leaving behind remains that will roll around. however, said remains can pile up pretty fast and get a bit tough to move around. so i figure i'll just disable collisions between corpses and players, but with this code...

LegsGeom.CollisionCategories = CollisionCategory.Cat3;
            TorsoGeom.CollisionCategories = CollisionCategory.Cat3;
            HeadGeom.CollisionCategories = CollisionCategory.Cat3;
            ArmGeom.CollisionCategories = CollisionCategory.Cat3;

LegsGeom.CollidesWith = CollisionCategory.All & ~CollisionCategory.Cat1 & ~CollisionCategory.Cat2;
            TorsoGeom.CollidesWith = CollisionCategory.All & ~CollisionCategory.Cat1 & ~CollisionCategory.Cat2;
            HeadGeom.CollidesWith = CollisionCategory.All & ~CollisionCategory.Cat1 & ~CollisionCategory.Cat2;
            ArmGeom.CollidesWith = CollisionCategory.All & ~CollisionCategory.Cat1 & ~CollisionCategory.Cat2;

absolutely nothing seems to happen. for reference, Cat1 is players while Cat2 is bullets and Cat3 is entrails.

it should be noted that no matter what i put as collision categories for any of the geoms, nothing seems to change. they just follow the rules set by the CollisionGroups.

i'm sure i did something really stupid, but this is killing me. any help would be awesome.

Nov 10, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Try reading the Update() method of BruteForceCollider, because it gives as good an explanation as any on how collision categories and groups are handled.