units and comments

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum
Jan 15, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Hi guys,

First of all, from everything I've seen in demos and the like, this library is stupendous and I am eternally grateful to everyone who contributed to it.

I just wanted to say, as someone trying to learn to work with it without any prior knowledge, I think it would be incredibly helpful if the Xml comments or the documentation provided brief explanations of the units involved in operations.  Currently I am pretty baffled. For example, Bodies take a "mass" parameter, which is a float: What number should be passed here and how does it relate to force applied? Body.Torque and Body.ApplyTorque: What is the meaning of the unit I should pass in here?  The body's RotationAngle: is it in degrees or radians? Etc.

Perhaps the lack of clarity has to do with my lack of knowledge in physics. Even if that is so, though, wouldn't brief explanations be possible?

Thanks again for the great work

Joni

Coordinator
Jan 16, 2010 at 1:09 AM

A few of the comments have units in them. Some of the properties are also explained in the manual. But all in all, you are right. I'm going to remember that for the 3.0 release and make sure that units are stated inside the comments. FPE 2.x does not really have a real unit system, for one, it works on pixels and thus you can't relate it to real life. With 3.0 we are working with MKS (Meter Kilogram Second) system, it should be easier to relate it to real life, but you can't directly translate that to pixels. Not to worry tho, we are providing a converter from meters to pixels in which you provide the ratio.

Anyway, your comment has been noted and I'm going to do something about it in 3.0.