Will V3.0 be more stable ?

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 8, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I'm getting a lot of crashes with V2,
Removing bodies generates errors very frequently,
Sometimes Simulator.Update crashes so bad I have to reset the entire game.

Are any of these issues addressed in V3.0 ?

Also, please include a way to change the size of geoms in V3.0
I think its a much needed feature.

Shachar Weis.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Crashes should not occur in FPE 2.x unless you use unrealistic force/impules or unrealistic property values. As for the removal of bodies, there might be a bug associated with that, but I have not looked into it because all focus is on 3.0 at the moment.

The thing is that 3.0 is done from scratch from another codebase. Any previous bugs that have been in FPE 2.x internals will not be transfered to 3.0, because it is a whole different codebase. The tools are ported to 3.0, some small bugs have been fixed, but there might be some new ones too (because of the different codebase).

As for the resizing of geometries in 3.0 - Changing the size of geometries on the fly will always be a little troublesome. Incrementally increasing the size is possible and should create a somehow realistic reaction, but instantaneously blowing up a geometry to a new size have some issues. It is up to the game developer to fix scenarios like the one described.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Incrementally increasing the size is exactly what I need.

I'm building a multitouch display framework (similar to MS Surface) with XNA.
Users can move around bodies with their hands, and sometimes the forces they apply are indeed great.

I'm looking forward to v3.0

Shachar Weis.